Saturday, January 8, 2011

Cool Stuff!

When I started thinking about all the different types of cultural music I was exposed to as a child and how I was exposed to them, I realized that most of it was introduced to me through cartoons. The soundtracks of the good old Disney classics Pocahontas and The Lion King have Native American and South African influences respectively. When we talked about the Pow wow in class, my mind went back to a cartoon TV series I had watched as a child called "Pow-wow the Indian Boy". This was one of my favorite cartoons. I remember that the theme song had a lot of "Hey, hoo, ha" in its lyrics - vocables! Who would have thought I would be theoretically analyzing the music in a cartoon I had seen as a child, 16 years ago. (Wow, I feel old.)

Here is the opening song in Pocahontas, "Steady as the beating drum".( Music by Alan Menken and lyrics by Stephen Schwatrz.) This song talks about how the Native American people lead lives as "steady as the beating drum". The lyrics portray their way of life. Concepts we talked about in class such as balance in life, spirituality and life working in cycles can be seen here. To quote from the song : "Oh great spirit hear our song, help us keep the ancient ways, keep the sacred fire strong, walk in balance all our days. Seasons go and seasons come, steady as the beating drum...".
The drumming and the use of the vocables "Hega hega yam-pi-ye-hega...etc." add an authentic native american flavor to the music. Enjoy.




The song "The Spirit of the Hawk" by the Swedish band Rednex includes part of a speech given by "Chief Joseph", the chief of a Native American tribe known as "Nez Perce", which is a tribe which lives in the Pacific North West region of USA. (According to wikipedia). The video of this song has a lot of imagery from the Native American culture. The song's title and video both show the close connection between the Native American people, nature and their spirituality. It is a fusion music influenced by native american sounds and modern techno music.



Africa:
I once learnt a traditional South African song at a music camp which I attend in Sri Lanka when I was fourteen years old. This song is in the call and response style. I learned that it is about migrant workers travelling by train to work at gold and minefields. Here is a video of primary school children singing the song. It's really a fun song to sing with a large group of people.


Here's a video of the African Children's choir just because they are definitely worth checking out.

I would also like to share the video of the performance of "Waka Waka" by Shakira featuring the South African band "Freshlyground". This song was one of the official songs for the 2010 FIFA world cup. Here is a great example of a wonderful multicultural, musical celebration.


Finally, simply because Lady Smith Black Mambazo has an amazing sound:


9 comments:

  1. The kids in the African children's choir are adorable! I also had one of the FIFA's official songs from 2010. The one I found was called "Wavin' Flag" by K'naan Troubador. I also think that we should try to incorporate some of the kind of stuff that we grew up on in our jam sessions!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Natasha, the video of the African Children's choir is amazing! I have listened to them previously and fell in love with them. Thank you for posting this video and reminding me just how wonderful the kids are. Also, some of my first encounters with music from different cultures came from the wonders of Disney!

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Emma, I love Waving Flag too :) We sang it at a concert at home recently. Good idea for our Jams!

    @Desi, I know I love the children's choir too :)
    Our childhood would not have been the same without Disney!

    ReplyDelete
  4. There's so much cool stuff on here! I was hoping someone would post a Pocohontas video. And I really like Ladysmith Black Mambazo. It's amazing what we're exposed to as kids. I guess we all know a litte about music from different cultures thanks to Disney, haha.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so glad you posted something about Pocahontas. When we were watching the movie about the Native Americans, many of the beats reminded me of songs from Pocahontas. I wanted to look up whether Alan Menken pulled specific music from any Native American tribes, but I was distracted by YouTube. :) And I got goosebumps listening to the African Children's Choir. They are so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  6. OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG! I LOVE POCAHONTAS!!!!!!!!! And I find it sooooooooo awesome that you posted this! I can hear how Disney created such similar music to the kind we listened in class. Using drums, a steady pulse, and chanting, it's easy to picture the culture of Pocahontas and her people, as well as other Native American tribes.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Shakira. You totally got me. My spanish teacher was totally obsessed with Shakira. She represents her culture very well and is also supportive of many charities. Have you heard her new CD? I have also heard 'The Lion Sleeps Tonight' version before, so I thought it was funny that you posted that too! Oh, the things we have in common!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fun stuff, Natasha. I'm always amazed at how many folks get their first taste of "world music" through Disney--but, then again, many folks of my generation got their first taste of Classical music through Bugs Bunny! And I really wonder who the women's choir is that's singing with Ladysmith--there's a definite late 1980s-ness about their clothing and hairstyle...

    ReplyDelete
  9. I didn't even think about the idea of getting world music from Disney movies. The thought completely escaped my mind! You're right though, I do remember listening to the music of Pocahontas and the Lion King at an early age. I suppose Disney is good for lots of things =]

    ReplyDelete